Driving License in Turkey
Like most countries, you need to be an adult to have a driving license in Turkey. You also need to appear for a practical and a theory test for driving. These tests are regulated in order to maintain the guidelines put down by the European Union.
Once you pass the theory and the practical driving tests, you will be given an EU-compatible license. However, if you are a foreigner and already possess a driving license, you need not appear for the driving license national test in Turkey anymore. Instead, you can use your home license or add an international driving permit along with it.
Applying For a Driving License in Turkey
If you are already a driver’s license holder in your home country and wish to also obtain a driving license in Turkey, you can submit certain documents to the Driver’s Association Office. It is in The Total Transport Registration Department of Turkey. You can then obtain the license without appearing for the national driving test. The documents that you need to submit are:
- Your valid driving license (in your home nation),
- Your residence permit in Turkey along with your Turkish ID (or local/foreign passport, foreign ID, etc.),
- Five passport-sized photographs,
- Notarized translation of your own driving license into the Turkish language,
- Your health report along with your blood type certificate,
- Criminal record clearance from the local courthouse (or authorities),
- License fee payment receipt,
- Shipping license payment.
Driving Test in Turkey
There are certain theory tests that you need to undertake in order to pass the national driving test so you can obtain your driver’s license in Turkey. Some requirements for the driving test are:
- Theory test,
- Practical training for a total of 12 hours,
- Road traffic awareness,
- First aid awareness,
- Practical test.
Driving Theory Test: Available Languages
The theory test has around 100 questions that mainly test your knowledge of the highway code of Turkey. You must obtain at least 70% correct marks in the theory examination to pass the test. Although the theory test is only available in the Turkish language, if you are a foreigner, you can get permission to attend the test with a translator. When you have proper training, passing the driving test in Turkey is simple and easy. This is how you can obtain your driver’s license in Turkey.
Related Article: A Guide to Driving in Turkey.