As per the Turkish Civil Law, registration of marriage in Turkey is possible between two willing people who may or may not be Turkish citizens. Marriage registration is also possible between a Foreigner and a Turkish citizen. But you have to bear in mind that only such marriages are acknowledged by Civil law that is conducted in the city of one of the spouses.
The marriages are legally recognized in Turkey even if they have been registered abroad. But there are certain conditions for such marriage registrations. Getting in touch with a good Marriage registration lawyer from Turkey can be of great help in this regard. He will be able to provide you with all the information and guidelines about the marriage registration and the process to go about the same.
What is the Validity Period of Marriage Registration in Turkey?
Under the Family law of Turkey, there are a few conditions that you must follow if you want to legally get married in Turkey. The conditions are:
- Both you and your partner must willingly give consent to enter into a marriage together.
- Both you and your partner must be more than 18 years of age at the time of requesting the marriage registration.
- If you and your partner belong to the same family, your marriage is not recognizable by the Turkish Family law. Even if the marriage is registered abroad, it is not recognized in Turkey as same family marriage is not encouraged.
- If you or your partner had been married before, you need to wait for a certain period before applying for fresh marriage registration in Turkey.
- If you or your partner is suffering from certain illnesses, you do not have permission to get your marriage registered in Turkey.
- If you want to learn any of the above-mentioned rules in detail, it is best to get in touch with a good marriage lawyer in Turkey who would be able to guide you with the information.
Documents Required for Marriage Registration in Turkey
One of the most necessary documents that are required for marriage registration in Turkey is the No Objection Certificate. It is also known as the No Impediment Certificate. This certificate is issued by the Turkey Court of law when one of the partners is a Turkish citizen. If one of the partners is a foreigner, he or she should get the same certificate from his or her country’s relevant authorities.
As a foreigner, if you want to get married to a Turkish citizen, you must get hold of the no impediment certificate. You can also obtain the same from the Turkish court or local authorities provided you follow certain conditions. The conditions are:
- You must arrive in Turkey at least two months before the marriage registration. There are certain legalities that you must complete.
- You must reside in the country for at least 21 days and then apply for the no-objection certificate.
- It will take another 21 days for the local authorities to issue you the no impediment certificate.
- If you have the no impediment certificate from your home country, you need to get it transferred to Turkey and get it authenticated. This usually takes around 4 days to complete.
Some other documents that are required for marriage registration in Turkey include the following:
- An affidavit or an eligibility certificate that proves that you are eligible for marriage in Turkey.
- A valid passport
- A medical certificate implying you have no illness
- Identification cards if any
- In case, you have been married before, you need to also show your divorce papers.
- If your partner is a Turkish woman, she needs to wait out for at least 300 days after their divorce to get married again. This is as per the rules and regulations of Turkey.
For Destination Marriage in Turkey
If both you and your partner are foreigners in Turkey and want to have your marriage registered in Turkey, you need to carry your eligibility certificates from your home countries. You need to get the eligibility certificates translated and authenticated at the Turkey court before legalizing the marriage registration. There is a waiting period of 3- 4 days for the translation of the eligibility certificates.
If you are a foreigner seeking marriage registration in Turkey, you also need to have your tourist visas in place for visiting the country. Apart from the visa, you also would need a valid passport and other necessary documents for registering the marriage in Turkey. You also need to declare a notice at the registrar’s office in your home country stating your marriage registration in Turkey.
Process of Marriage Registration in Turkey
The process of marriage registration in Turkey is rather simple. Both you and your partner will have to submit the necessary documents to the marriage registration office in person. The process is the same for both the foreigners as well as the nationals of Turkey. Along with the necessary documents, both you and your partner also need to submit your declaration about registering the marriage in Turkey. You need to have two witnesses from your side each. The witnesses cannot be your family members.
Is the Registered Marriage in Turkey Recognized in Other Countries?
Yes, a marriage that is registered in Turkey is also recognized in most other countries without any special documentation. However, if you are a foreigner who registered his marriage in Turkey, you can send your marriage certificate to your home country’s marriage registration offices.
If you need any legal assistance for marriage registration in Turkey, you can get in touch with a reputed law firm in Turkey. The lawyers have years of experience in handling marriage registration and they will be able to guide you with all the information. Turkey is a beautiful country with its rich cultural heritage. It is the only country that is spread across both Europe and Asia. When you have a partner to walk the path of love with, why not come together in Turkey to read your vows together?